Skip to main content

The Reflections of a Penguin

The first and probably most important reflection is that a reflection essay cannot be written in a day. You have to think and come up with the contemplations, which in my case took a few days. Then the writing part comes.
Normally, meeting new people involves nerves for me. On the way to the campus on Friday, I realized something: I was not nervous to meet anyone. I think the blogs helped because it felt like we sort of knew each other. I was worried, despite having similar interests, that I would not click, but there was nothing to worry about because we are all buddies! As my mom put it, we got so close in one week because we were sharing space and ideas. If you are just with people discussing who did this, that, and whatever, you are not as likely to bond as fast. On the contrary, sharing thoughts about a challenging text and getting deep with others results in quicker connecting. Talking beforehand and then diving into tough material together makes for strong friends.
I normally do not like baseball, but I liked the game this time because I felt that it was different from ones I have previously attended. The Biscuits actually won! I have never witnessed that happen before, not to mention twice in a row. I realized I like the sound of bat hitting ball (hearing the crack of the two meeting was satisfying). I also felt like there was more action and more interaction with the spectators. For example, I have never before seen the pitcher try to tag the person at first base out instead of pitching to the batter. Reading the essay beforehand was part of why I had more fun this time. It tied something I like (academics) to something less appealing to me. Then there was the fact it was at night. The time I went before was in the middle of the day in summer so the weather was hot, but it was cool and made for a more enjoyable game. The songs (the Carol of the Bells instrumental rock was my favorite) accompanied the fireworks nicely, which were spectacular. Speaking about sports, the basketball campers never sang High School Musical in the cafeteria. We were not expecting them to (part of it was we never asked), but it would have been really cool. The baseball game was nothing to dread because because of the different aspects that came together to make it enjoyable.
Sometimes plans changing is fine and works just as well as the original. All the girls planned on quitting after a couple of rounds on game night. However, if we are playing a really fun game that we really like, we will play for three hours as opposed to quitting game play after one. I also learned to not mess with Kenzie when it comes to games or projects. I did not realize how long designing one board takes. We might have been there all day if it was not for Kenzie helping direct all of us because we thought it would take one or two hours, not three. The final look turned out great in the end so our wanting to be perfectionists payed off. Because the plans altered, we had fun trying to find secret agents for many rounds and came out of a project with a fantastic board.
Great Summer was one of the best weeks of my summer. The intellectual conversations combined with great friends and fun nighttime activities made for a fantastic week. All the work that had to be done beforehand was totally worth it. Having a discussion over the material was beneficial, especially discussing the confusing parts because as a group you try to figure it out. Someone else might have understood it better or could show the problem in a different way to help out. Also, when the class is involved it can help to stay awake compared to a lecture because more focus is required. Class was more fun because the professors were not just teaching, but when they can get silly and they really delve into the material. A teacher who could not have fun would make for a boring class. The ability to bounce ideas off of each other to discover the truth was and is wonderful.
I was slightly horrified at the thought of writing in the books. The video suggested it, so I gave it a try. I found it easier in the Introduction to Great Books than Till We Have Faces. As a result, Lewis’ book has fewer notes in it. (The notes in the former did help.) I still would not write in all my books, but I have considering doing it for some of them because it does not irk me as much, so it is fine. (I started the process with Red Badge of Courage, but that book needs wider margins). Marking up the pages makes it easier to find the desired text later on.

Great Summer taught me many things outside and inside the classroom. First, is that great friends can be made when you share similar interests and then share life together. The second is that a baseball game can be enjoyable, even if it is not your favorite sport. Third, modified plans can be for the better. Fourth, group discussions can be entertaining and beneficial. Last, but not least, is that writing in books is not a terrible act after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Essay: Atalanta

Just what I wanted. A girl. They serve no purpose and a boy would have been so much better. Girls do not rule kingdoms. But no, I, King Schoeneus, was not fortunate enough to have an heir. A frown forms on my face as I look down at the child. The slaves are trustworthy enough, but not for this task, so I take it upon myself to perform the deed. I take the infant up in my arms and to a hill on the outskirts of the palace near the forest and throw her off. Do I feel remorse at tossing my child out into the elements like this? No, and in fact I soon forget that the female was even born. Years pass and I still have no son sired to me. Who is supposed to take over the throne when I am gone? Offerings are made to the gods multiple times and still they do not bless my family. There is only one action left that I know to take: Visit the Oracle. The journey will be hard but I need to know if there is any hope. I take two servants and provisions with me. I have already prayed for protection b...

Refusing to Escape Justice

In Plato’s " Crito" , we meet Socrates who is in prison. His friend, Crito, proposes placing a bribe to help him escape, but Socrates refuses and proceeds to explain why he did so. While Plato was explaining the reasoning for Socrates staying in prison, I believe there is also a larger picture, one where he is attempting to convince the populace against placing bribes to help convicts flee. Plato was addressing those who have helped prisoners escape and the escapees by trying to convey the message of why running away and aiding runaways is not right. Crito says “Look here, Socrates, it is still not too late to take my advice and escape… a great many people who don’t know you and me very well will be sure to think that I let you down, because I could have saved you if I had been willing to spend the money” (56). From the way he explains his reasoning, it sounds like bribing people to help them out of prison was a common practice. It would make perfect sense then for Crito t...

Introduction to Learning Essay

My experience with learning is filled with twists and turns. There were times I liked it and times when I could have cared less. For example, learning time in the second grade was not my favorite thing (though the skill is definitely a blessing). This past year I thought my American history class was going to be dreadful (as I had not cared for it in the fifth grade) but I was wrong. I still might not like every period of it, but I loved seeing how everything was connected. My geography class in the seventh grade was one of my favorites. I did not always love reading as much as I do now, but the love was always there. It picked up in about middle school when I had more freedom to read what I desired. Soon after followed writing which was not my favorite activity in the world and nowhere close, but I learned to enjoy it. While there are times I can say I was not eager to learn, I can say I do like to overall. In " Artes Liberales " , James Schall discusses liberal education a...